Over the past couple of years many construction firms have adopted the use of Apps into the Mobile Device Programs. One of the leading App types is the plan distribution for project sites. This new wave of technology being used by field Superintendents and Project Managers is revolutionizing the construction industry. There are several good app choices out there for construction companies to choose from. So the question is, what separates the best in class solutions available for your business? In my opinion it is the features offered by a platform.
Today ARC Document Solutions (ARC) has released their new SkySite platform into the market. The SkySite platform is an integrated cloud based document management solution built for the construction industry. This unique platform offers users a combined website, desktop and mobile experience. The idea was to create a single source cloud based repository for all project related documents. The goal was to deliver a platform that would keep all project team members up to date in real time.
There are 3 faces of the SkySite platform: Document Management, Collaboration, and Archiving Data.
I have beta tested the test platform for several months, the following are my findings:
One of the challenges facing many construction IT departments is which cloud to use for their storage needs. Which platform will offer them the best options, security and storage options for a price they can afford. ARC has built a private cloud platform to offer a new solution to this scenario. There is now no need to use a secondary cloud solution such as they provide one for you.
ARC has created a easy to use cloud based portal that:
– Allows users to complete bulk uploads of plans or a binder set.
– Store all major construction document file formats (PDF, DWG, Excel, Word, PowerPoint)
– Secure platform that can be accessed from any computer or mobile device.
– Daily real time sync between the cloud platform and registered desktops or mobile devices to ensure the project team is working off the most current set of documents.
– Track and manage historical data as the project evolves.
– Real time project activity tracker monitors user activity.
– Version control of documents ensure project data integrity.
- Desktop (sync)
The desktop sync function is one of the more intriguing aspects of the SkySite platform. One of the inherent problems with a cloud based system is the security issue that arises from multiple project team members having “Administrative Access” to the project documents.
The scenario I have heard about is when a project team member accidentally delete a document (plan, spec, rfi, etc.) from the project folder. Things can of course be restored, BUT what happens in the mean time if other team members are looking for that document. What if there was a way to prevent that from occurring?
ARC has built in a unique security feature to their platform:
– Three users levels: Admin, Editor, and Viewer (Only the admin can permanently delete any files from web.
– Second layer Password Protection for private projects.
- Mobile App
The SkySite App is available on the App Store and Google Play Store.
The SkySite App was built to allow users:
– Capture, distribute and collaborate on construction documents with other team members is real time (auto-sync).
– Stores project files locally for offline access.
– Built in markup tools to communicate issues and create your “As-Built” set.
To learn more about the new SkySite platform use the following links: